I’m not gonna lie, I get food anxiety almost every time I travel. Will it be healthy? How on Earth can I eat at the effin Charlotte Airport?? They don’t even have sugar free almond mylk there?! OMG! The struggle is real when you are a foodie obsessed with health and when you are in conditions apart from the daily routine, your body can lean toward less inflammation or more inflammation (ie: more toward disease or less toward disease). This is all dependent on sleep, food choices, exercise and stress. This is one of the major presenting illness theories from Naturopathic Medicine and likely derived from ancient medicine theories.
As someone that has had major Auto-immune issues in the past with joint, gut, digestion, and thyroid… trust me. This is a real fear, which causes more stress, and alas more inflammation due to the stress! AND Nothing is worse than feeling like shit when you land and go. Okay, maybe that’s a superficial yuppie comment, AND ya’ll get what I am laying down 😉 from a privileged perspective–
Regardless of privilege….
We all want to land, launch and do our thing at our fullest potential. Often inflammatory foods while traveling are the culprit of post-vacation illness, fatigue and inflammation, & bloating and gas.
Lucky for you guys, I have been traveling quite a bit lately on top of brand-spanking new business ventures and post Standing Rock Detox. So, I am learning all about modifying dietary needs for extreme factors that may lead to inflammation while traveling. And my answers have been all about the SHAKES!
- Quick Shakes: Qi Gong has this little move that is amazing for the plane ride or quick rest stops
- Quick Shakes: I have explored all the quick shakes n magical mystery superfoods powders & found the perfect mixture of proteins, adaptogens, n microgreens in one easy package! (hahah… its not the funky Best Coast green stuff 😉
- Green Tea in the Shake: I love mixing in Matcha & Manuka into this protein and Greens. (see Copesthetic Gut Friendly Series from last month)
- Herbs to calm your tummy! I made a nice blend today!
- Mindful Breathing while you are traveling. If you check out my latest FB Post, there are loads of suggestions of recordings from patients and friends.
- Hydration, Electrolytes, Coconut Water: Drink at least 2x your body weight in oz / day.
- Pack the Powders ahead of time in a plastic bag / shaker bottle compartment.
- Matcha comes individually packaged also.
- Bringing your own water bottle saves the environment & cash.
- Electrolytes / ionic minerals are essential. Coconut Water is delicious & it does not contain the full electrolyte profile. Especially, the generic canned coconut water that is heat processed and destroys the environment for harvesting as fast as possible.